03 August 2005

The Journey...

Greetings from Englewood Colorado! So, here's the story:

Friday, July 29:
Greg and Sarah Johnson, Cheri Markward, Stuart and Andrew McCoy, Jenn Traficanti, Scott King, Christina Milner and Karen Pasquale (I hope I didn't forget anyone!!) are my personal HEROS. These guys got all my stuff out of the apartment and loaded into a 5x8 trailer and my little 4x2 Pick up truck in a record 3 hours. Stuart and Andrew got the whole loan 'battened down' for the haul with an amazing display of bungi-chord prowess and I was road ready by 5pm.



This was right on time for me, as I had hoped to be spending the evening just hanging out with folks and saying good-byes. It was a borderline magical night for me, as I saw some folks I haven't seen in months. I am so grateful to all of you who were able to come out (or send your thoughts/wishes) and help me bid a fond farewell to RI. Special props to my end of the night crew - you know who you are.

Saturday July 30th:
The long drive began at a very reasonable 7:30am. I pulled out fully loaded with the love and prayers of my friends very close to my heart. This was a long day to drive, as I had gone to bed late the night before, so I knocked off at 6:30pm. Follow the loving advice of Phil and Jonna Axelson, I stopped over in a small hotel at the edge of the Pennsylvania border. It sort of felt/smelled like an old beach house, but it had cable and A/C. I was sound asleep by 9:30. The drive itself was relatively uneventful, but it was an AWESOME day to begin catching up with folks. THANK YOU SO MUCH to all of you who called me on the road - I really felt like I was road tripping with a whole gang and not alone.

Sunday July 31:

Got on the road again by 6:30, had a good breakfast at a Dutch Inn (I think it's a chain from the 50s) - they had the cutest baskets there (I almost bought you one Ruth, but I couldn't think of where to put it!!) and began to think and pray about the upcoming day/s. More driving and phone calls today; pushed all the way to the edge of Illinois. Following the loving advice of Karen Pasquale, I stopped at this really cool, obscure camp ground and pitched my tent. I've been wanting to camp FOREVER, so it was nice to be able to a little. The camp was on the edge of a little pond and there were crickets chirping all night (I like that sound, so it was soothing, not annoying!) I tried to journal some each day, but it really wasn't coming to me. Jenn T. gave me a cute little travel journal thing with crayons, so I mostly just did that at night. It was hard to think beyond the road trip really. I knew big changes were coming, but wasn't able to put any real face on them. I was asleep by 9:30 again!

Monday August 1st

I was on the road by 6:30; breakfast was a non-descript PowerBar. I was really hoping to make it the rest of the way. The road had smoothed out considerably the previous day, which had made it much easier on my truck. But it was not to be; the road got really hilly again, which kept my average speed a decrepit 55. It was really boring going though Indiana and Illinois - you've seen one corn field, you've seen 'em all.


It got better in Missouri - more rocks, different crops, more contour to the land. Pushed all the way to the edge of Colorado this day - I decided to knock off at 10pm and not drive through the night (though I was SORELY tempted). Against everyone's loving advice, I picked a rest stop, pitched my tent on the lawn beside my truck and went to sleep under the stars. I've always wanted to do that, so it was cool for that, but it was also very loud. It was also very windy there, so it was hard to tell what was someone sneaking up you or was the wind pushing the grass against the tarp bottomed tent. So, I didn't sleep super soundly, but it was ok.

Tuesday August 2ed
I pushed on at 4:30am from the rest stop and arrived right in the middle of rush hour traffic in Denver. I finally made it to my apartment around 9am. God must have really been with me because, after all that, I was able to off-load all my stuff except 4 pieces of furniture by 3pm (I took at break 12-2) - and I didn't even mind, it was just fine - I actually enjoyed it! The Lord really blessed me that evening too, because Sara Massy (a former IV student from Roger Williams Univ.), her sister Jill and their mom came over and helped me with the last few pieces and also unpacked a bunch of boxes for me. We then went to dinner at a local sub shop.


(home!)
It was so nice to see people I even vaguely knew. When I took my break from 12-2, I had gone next door to a local Thai place for lunch. I got the food to go, as no one else was in the place and it's just weird to eat alone in a public place no one else is in. I got home, had lunch, read for a little while and decided to take a nap. That's when it hit me. I was laying on my bed, but not in my room, my apartment or even my state. I suddenly felt like crying - and boy did I ever! I'm still pretty fragile; the reality of what I've done has begun to sink in. I really miss everyone and everything about my life in RI. I'm in the full-blown grip of culture shock; knowing that doesn't make it easier. I was grieving the fact that I didn't know where to buy milk or rent a video last night. Every box I unpacked set off a cacophony of protest in my soul - something like, 'AH! Don't unpack that! Don't throw that box away! We aren't staying that long!' I talked with/ cried on/ prayed with a couple of friends, ferociously fought off the urge to get back in the truck and drive home and sang some worship songs. The Lord sent Sara and her family along at just the right time - the evening of the first day of my new life in Colorado.

There were (emotionally) good things about the day too. My next door neighbor is Jennifer. She's super cool and nice - has a very friendly cat named Dutchess. One of the downstairs neighbors is Debbie - also super nice. The building manager I've been dealing with was here and she greeted me by name and showed me the ropes of the place; she was both professional and kind.

Wednesday August 3rd:
Today's been ok so far. I got up at 7:30, had breakfast and began the task of assembling my life here. First order of business was to get back on line - so here I am! Next was to drop off the trailer (which is really great, because I didn't feel comfortable whipping around town with it on which only made me feel trapped here.) and hit Wal-Mart - I have an answering machine now!! Which reminds me: I had a landline! Please do use it - 303-781-3375 - I will be trying to rely on this more now and cut back on my cell phone. My cell number will still be good for the next few weeks, but it will be changing soon! (I'll let you know the change!)

The other fun thing I did today was to visit my Seminary and get a copy of my schedule! I found all my classes and said hi to a couple of folks I'd met back in April. It was a weird, but nice experience. The campus is gorgeous. (I'll send pics)

Thanks for all your prayers and love for me - I don't know how I could be here without them. Please do keep me in prayer; this is something I've been waiting for, but it's a hard change. I love you; know you are in my thoughts today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your safe and sound.......post pics of Colorado when you can.........its alot prettier than Indiana.

Nat

Anonymous said...

Terri,

Fun to read about your journey and see your pics! I'm excited for you! I know God will bless you. You are in my prayers. Gen 12:1-3

Love, Irene

Anonymous said...

It was awesome to see all your stuff be loaded in like a giant Tetris (sp?) game. I miss you!! RI is not the same since you left. The old apartment is going well. Getting use to living alone is an adjustment. Although you're experiencing it on a deeper level I know what you mean about trying to find where things are. Um, how do you get to the Stop & Shop again? Seriously. I know I'm a loser. I finally went to the one on Newport Ave. I was so hungry, man. Prayin' for ya!
-milna

Anonymous said...

Your experience reminds me of the time I came out to RI for school. I know the feeling !!! Praying for you. I know that God is with you and you will rely on Him.

Anonymous said...

Hi, The Ter,

We thought of you all day on your packing day in Pawt. Wished we were there to help, but Tuscany is a little far. You are in the right place -- don't let doubts spoil God's plan.

On the Bonanza bus returning from Logan yesterday, [thanks again for taking Anna and me to the bus in Prov. on 21st!!], I was thinking, "Oh boy, we have a pie to enjoy, made by Terri!" Haven't checked with Ruth L. yet -- first morning back, and laundry and mail are calling. The first chair was superb. Thanks for bringing it over before our departure. You're the BEST!!

There is an old chorus, "My Lord knows the way through the wilderness. All I have to do is follow.... Hope for today and bright strength for tomorrow ..... All I have to do is follow."

So glad you've really GONE FOR IT!
Very pleased with your goals. As soon as you get some people in place in your new circle of friends/colleagues/fellowship/church in Colorado, you will feel more at home. That's been my experience.

Miss you and love you,

Susie S.

[Swanson, no TV dinners, no pot pies]