08 August 2005

Life Begins Again...


Greetings from Sunny Colorado! Well, it's been about a week since I wrote last and I must say, it's been a good but exhausting week. I got out a bit and got to know the area some - found a mall this week and got a great area map book. This was utterly exhausting, though not impossible. As most of you know, when learning your way around RI you go by landmarks (usually from Dunkin' Donuts to Dunkin' Donuts) - currently existing or no longer existing (you know, where that bank used to be...). Here it's all about the compass. 'We are located on the NE corner of the plaza.' Now, I've spent essentially my entire life in RI which is to say my sense of direction is completely corrupt - I have to think really hard to tell you which way is North. And if it's nighttime, I'm really in trouble. Here it is very helpful that the Mountain are to the West. The only down side to that is that you cannot always see the mountains (I get a little panicky when that happens). Needless to say, it still sets my blood pressure up a few points every time I go out the door.


Some victory points for me this week are as follows:
- Found where to buy milk and rent a movie!!
- Got a cheap couch!
- Went on a walk with my new next door neighbor Jennifer on a local trail (above picture is from there)
- Got back into my gym routine (my lungs could only take 10 minutes my first day at 5.5MPH - really sad compared to my 30 minutes at 5.6-6.0MPH in RI. But today was better - 25mins at 5.5/5.6MPH)
- Went to my new Campus and got my book list!
- The Army found me and got me papers, I'm a little closer to being commissioned!
- Went to Centennial Covenant Church this week! (Very cool, I'll be surprised if I've found a church on my first visit, but I am seriously thinking I may have.)
- I'm note sure if this is a Victory Point or not, but I'd appreciate your prayers as I consider being an International Student buddy from the local college.

Some final thoughts:
It is really funny to me that after 4 domestic missions projects and 4 overseas (three of which I trained students to be on)I am still experiencing culture shock. I know from my training that it doesn't ever go away, you just get better at recognizing it and praying though it, but I think a part of me thought it wouldn't be so bad because of all my travels (additionally 30+ moves throughout my whole life). I am praying. I know Jesus is here and he is working out his plan for me here. He is establishing my life. I am reading Jeremiah and finding comfort and strength. Thanks for all your prayers for me as I begin this new life - I've especially appreciated all the e-mails, note cards and phone calls - I feel well loved and supported! Please continue to remember me in you prayers!

Some of you asked to help out with my book list for the Fall, so here's a list of my classes and the books I will be needing. If you'd like to buy me a book and send it to me (or if you have it and are willing to part with it) or send $ for books, I'd really appreciate it - just let me know ASAP so I can coordinate the effort! I should have my books accounted for by August 29th (first day of classes). You can send books/$ to Terri King, 3445 S. Downing St. #211 Englewood, CO 80113. (See lt. blue block at the top of this page, too for address/phone.)

Oh, yeah - FYI, it's my birthday Friday (12th)- so this would be a great present!! (Cards are also really great to get!)

BI 501 - Effective Biblical Interpretation
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation; 2ed ed. - Kline, et al
- Slaves, Women and Homosexuals - Webb
- NIV Dictionary of New Testament Theology -Verbrugge

NT 511 - Understanding the Gospels and Acts
- Synopsis of the four Gospels - Aland
- Hammond Atlas of Biblical Lands - Frank
- Jesus Creed - McKnight
- Jesus and the Gospels - Blomberg

PR 501 - Defending the Christian Faith
- No Doubt About It- Corduan
- Truth Decay - Groothuis
- On Jesus -Groothuis
- On Pascal - Groothuis
- Jesus in an Age of Controversy -Groothuis
- Without a Doubt -Samples
- Scaling the Secular City - Moreland
- Complete Guide to Apologetics and Philosophy of Religion - Evans
- Rule Book for Arguments -Weston

IM 501 - Intro. To Ministry in Intercultural Contexts
- Introducing World Missions - Moreau
- Missional Church - Vangelda

T/M 500 - Intro. Spiritual Formation and Theological Education
- Soul Keeping -Baker
- -OR-
- True Faced -Thrall

EM 501 - Foundations of Teaching and Learning
- Introducing Christian Education -Anthony

NT 501 - Learning NT Greek I
No book list yet...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And no subtle hints were even considered..........Its my birthday, send money, love Terri.

Just kidding!!

Glad you found a buddy to go hiking with.

Love Nat

Anonymous said...

Love seeing your pictures, your apartment looks simply charming!
As long as you know what compass direction Wal-Mart is in your all set!! I'm also glad you found a hiking buddy :) You start classes on MY birthday. ha, ha
Love ya, Mel

Anonymous said...

Ohh, Terri, make a wish list with your books on Amazon... then link to it... :-)

This from the person who's been contemplating gift registries of all sorts.... Jen

Anonymous said...

Terri:

Those courses sound great! I would love that! I have said that I wouldn't want to go back to school but I miss those Bible courses. Man! I am jealous!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Glad you're finding your way around. It'll take some time, but soon you'll know Denver like the back of your hand! Your book is on it's way.
Love you,
Irene

Anonymous said...

Hey King!
I'm glad to hear or read rather you're starting to adjust. The need for a compass would freak me out as well.
Thanks for the postcard! You're so thoughtful. Thanks also for the book wish list!! How convenient is that! Maybe we should start creating gift registries for birthdays. Not a bad idea.

Still praying for you! Love ya!
-milner