30 August 2005

Bureaucracy and the Mundane

A slice of the mundane...

(Early July)
Me thinking: I need to close my RI checking accounts, I will call and find out what I need to do to cancel them...

Me calling the bank: *a million 'self-serve' menus later* Hi! I need to close my accounts, I'm moving and you aren't in my new area.

The Bank: You can't close these accounts this way.

Me: Oh. Ok, how does it work?

Bank: You must submit written notification.

Me: oh. ok. Thanks...

Bank: Have a nice day.

Me: ok.

(Letter sent early August; Mid August - reply from the bank sent: We cannot accept this letter dated 8/14/05 (copy enclosed, lest I forgot). It is not notarized. Ok...)

Me (at my new bank, freshly printed notice of cancellation in hand): Hi! I need you to notarize this so I can close my accounts in RI.

Them: I can't notarize this. It doest have an Acknowledgement of Certification form at the bottom for me to sign.

Me(beginning to loose it): Ok - where do I get that?

Them: I don't really know, they always come to me this way - try Kinkos or Office Depot.

Me: ok. i'll be back.

(off to Kinkos)

Me: Do you have a Acknowledgement of Certification form or stamp or something?

Kinkos Guy: No, I don't know what that is even - try Office Max.

Me: ok.

(off to office Depot)

Me: *Normal Spchele*

Sales Guy: Try isle 36, though I'm not sure if we have it.

Me: *in isle 36* There are lots of forms here, but none of them are the one I need.

New Sales Guy: I don't think we have that - try a lawyer.

Me: *sigh*



(I went home and found it on the internet, downloaded it, printed it and brought it back to the bank where the mission was finally accomplished. Now we have to see what my RI bank has to say. I'll probably have to submit DNA next.)
_________________________________________________________________________________

The End of the Mundane!

Well, I've finally begun classes! Hooray! I had my first class today: Ministry in inter-Cultural Contexts. (Mission 501) I like my first professor and am looking forward to the 3 papers I'll be writing for her. It seems like a lighter class (in comparison to Defending the Christian Faith). I met up with some folks from Orientation and am looking forward to working with them

The other event today was that I sat down with my new pastor, Steve Thulson for 'get to know you' chat. I'm more convinced than ever that this is going to be my spiritual home for the next 3 years and so wanted to go the next step of seeing if there's 'room' for me. It was a wonderful meeting of sharing ideas and getting to know each other. I was also able to meet the worship pastor David and let him know I'd like to serve with him if he'd like. It sounded possible. I love what the Lord is doing in this church; it sounds like He is calling them to more central time in prayer and calling them to a ministry of healing. I feel like I've come at the right time for me and for them. I'm feeling more and more at home here. Thanks for remembering me in prayer - it sure matters.

Prayer requests for this week:
- Please pray that I would find a small group that I can belong to in Centennial Cov.
- " for God to build my 'reading endurance' as I will need to read hundreds of pages a week for classes.
- " for God to continue to build my relationships here, especially with Kaila and Jennifer and the not-yet-Christians at my Gym that I'm getting to know.
- " for my health and safety as I continue to adjust to life here and a new schedule
- " for my professors: that they would have wisdom and love as they lead the students this semester.
- " for God's ongoing healing and redemption in my life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty funny story about the bank account. Glad to hear you started classes and found a church! Will be praying for you.
Irene

Anonymous said...

Hey Ter,
Thanks for the chuckle with the bank story. I had a similar situation when I had to change my mailiing address and update my checks. Thinking it had been taken care of with the first phone call- they had taken my info and said it was all set and I should receive my new checks soon. I never did. So I called and they said my info wasn't up to date so they took it again and said the new checks should arrive in 3-7 business days. Nope. So a final phone call. The cust. service rep. inquired to her manager why I never received my checks. Comes back on the line and says, "You can't update your mailing address on the phone. You have to do it in person at a local branch and be sure to have your I.D." I kind of let her have it at that point. Then I calmed down and went to my local branch. I told the cust. service guy (one w/ the official looking desks)that I needed to update my info. He said, "Can't you do that over the phone?" Then I let him know what I've been going through. He updated my info and I got my checks-finally.
Which bank did you use here?
Chris

Terri said...

I use Soverign - they said I can't even do this stuff at a local branch - which is COMPLETEL absurd, as I am there in person with ID. GRR.

Anonymous said...

You should talk to Julie and her parking ticket fiasco.........I think she spent more on stamps and cell minutes trying to resolve the issue............I hate those labrinthyn telephone menus.........

try the spanish one next time......you might have better luck.

Anonymous said...

hey cashew,
glad to hear you moaning about birocracy, it means that there aren't bigger problems....
i love you and wish you all the best, and that god will give you everything you need.
ayelet from the holyland

Anonymous said...

and of course i made a horrible spelling mistake with "bureaucracy", sometimes you can't see the things that are right in your face....
a.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Pain. And the fact that's it's Sovereign does not surprise me. I've spent over a year trying to get Billpay on the net, after several visits to local branches and several submissions of paperwork, still hasn't happened. And for all their worrying about "your security", guess what they want you to use to log into their website? Your freaking Social Security Number!! Oh yeah, baby - right there in black n white for everyone and their moma to see as they pass by your monitor! They are the antichrist.

On a lighter note, I was just looking for your link from my "favorites" menu so I can print your address for my mom (and I think you know what that means...), and subconsciously I started to open the "T-Mobile" link. ;) Somehow that made sense to my brain - I'm looking for "T", and she's now "mobile". I thought it was pretty funny, anyway. ;)

Love ya, Rae

Terri said...

THAT'S HYSTERICAL!