15 August 2005

Happy Birthday...


I had a TERRIFIC birthday. Thanks so much for praying for me; it could have been a miserable experience. I woke to the sound of the ringing telephone- Ken Lundberg was calling wish me well for the day and to say they were NOT going to sing the H.B. song (in the meantime, Ruth (his wife) started singing in the background - CLASSIC!). I felt adventuresome and downright frisky (an unusual occurrence since my move), so I got my boots on, dug up my hiking hat and filled my camel back (water/backpack). I took a look at my map, remembered a place called Red Rocks from my earlier trip here in April and set off. I had a great time hiking in what's called the foothills. After that, I went home, and had dinner with Sara Massy and her sister Jill (fellow N.Englanders who came out from VT - Sara was a former IV student at Roger Williams, introduced to me by my good friend Bonnie). We went to this great little Thai place near downtown and I ordered the HOTTEST thing I think I've ever eaten - it was a wonderful curry dish (it made Sara cry when she tried it!). After that, we went back to their place and hung out for a while and had ice cream. It was a lovely day.


I think I'm beginning to feel more at home here. I think my birthday was a turning point. I wasn't afraid to go out and wasn't worried I'd get lost or my apartment would get ripped off while I was away. Do keep praying for me in this area, I know I'm not 'out of the woods,' yet.


This past weekend I went up to Bear Trap Ranch (an IV camp here in Colorado Springs - about 2hrs South of me) to visit a friend and one of my former students at RIC. Becca is a wonderful, wise and intelligent young woman who has been doing summer staff work at the ranch and will continue into the fall, returning to school in the Spring. Do pray for her transitions and return to school and home. I had a great time catching up with her, commiserating on culture shock and bopping around the camp some.


(I couldn't resist passing this one on - it's a gate door, but no attached fence - the sign says 'Keep gate Closed.')

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just developed some pictures from last years birthday at Dave and Busters that I'll have to share with you.........I'll send them to you

Love Nat

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad your birthday was fun and a turning point of sorts. I'm so proud of you for how well you're handling your move.

Love,
irene

// bga said...

I LOVE this post! It feels like you've now begun....like CO has been introducing itself to you and now you are introducing yourself to it. I LOVE that Sara Massey is loving you well and that you can be reminders of N.E. for each other. Julie is on the way. with gifts in hand, so look forward to her arrival! :) Lemmee know when you get what she's bringing you and lemmee know what you think. -bga

Anonymous said...

Hi Ter,

You're fortunate that you're in a dif. time zone! Eric and I are infamous for calling people up on their birthdays [a.m.] and singing H.B. in parallel 5ths [2 dif. keys at once] That's a shock!

Loved the closed gate! That's something I would take a photo of!

What's that about great minds....?

Love,
Susie [n.p.p., n.tv.d.]