12 June 2006

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!


Day 1-2: USACHOBC (US Army Chaplain Office Basic Course)

Well, here we are kids! Like the guy in this stock photo to the left, I feel that I am somewhat dangling in mid-air, but loving ever minute of it! After two years of planning, prayer and preparation, I have safely arrived at Ft Jackson, SC and have been getting familiar with the base, people and culture of this Ft and my new mission to Military Ministry. So far, VERY COOL. We've been treated EXTREMELY well so far - given lots of 'hand holding' and grace as we're being shepherded to the various paperwork/instructional events we have to attend. We're still in civilian clothes (civies) but will probably be 'suiting up' starting Friday. I've already made the cardinal mistake of volunteering (*GASP*) to be a squad leader - no idea what I'm doing, but thought it would be the best time to volunteer - the expectations are low and grace is high. So far all I've really needed to do is make sure/lead my squad onto a bus, line them up in formation and collect some money from them - a little stressful since we are a class of 131 people (incidentally, there are 7 of us who are women and apparently this is a class record!). The guys are great so far and are living up to my expectations for pastors and officers; I expect that image will take some 'scuffing up' over the next few weeks, but what can one do? We got uniforms, ID badges, 'dog' tags (ID tags), registered our vehicles (POVs - Personally Owned Vehicles) on base and did a billion other bits of paper that will at some point result in getting paid. We start early (getting earlier every day), but are not yet doing PT (Physical Training)- that starts later this week I'm told.

Our class motto is "Pro Deo et Patri - Get It Done!" Which we shout at the top of our lungs at the beginning an end of each group session. I'm rather wrapped up in the novelty of it all still and am loving that I have a 'battle buddy' (and that I get to say things like "Yes, sergeant I have a Battle Buddy!" and "Yes , Moving ," then running to the object of the conversation (just picking up papers so far).) The moral is terrific so far, just a few people seem to just really not be happy, everyone seems at least ok. Our sergeant Dawson tells us there is no such thing as a bad day in the Army - a Bad Day is when someone comes home dead. We just have good days and great days. Whoa.

I'm living in a single hotel room. It's fairly scuzzy (just found out we have roaches...!!....), but I am alone, have cable TV, VCR/DVD and high speed internet. I also have nights and weekends off. Not a horrible life so far. I guess the pace will be more bent toward the days. I also do not yet have home work, though I hear I will at some point.

Today's Prayer Requests:
-Good/restful sleep (worry-free)
-For the Chaplains/soldiers here who are having a hard time being here
-God's protection of my heart and mind as the 'games' begin
-Solid connection with Jesus as my leader/guide and friend here
-Continued good connection with the other women here (we've already experience some AWESOME fellowship together, but it will be easy to forget/loose in the business of the days)

Thanks for checking in on me! I may not have time/energy to write you back right away, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear from you here. I will try to update this every day or two (as much for a journal for me as to keep you in updated prayer!) Blessings and Peace, Ter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ter! I'm so glad things are (so far)going well. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Miss you. nancee