16 June 2006

Day 6

(This is some of my AMAZING Squad! 2nd Squad, 4th Platoon))

Well, today was mixed. On the one hand I got to learn how to do something called D and C - Drill and ceremony (ie: how to march). That was really fun - the Platoons all competed at the end of the session to see who came out the best. My platoon (4th) came in 3rd of 4...not a total loss, but not a total win either...room to grow...(our motto is "Last Shall Be First"...we've got some way to go to make that true! This day reminded me of my college marching band. I hated it, but not the marching part - it was the playing an marching part I disliked (I never liked putting my instrument in jeopardy). I remember complaining to God about having to do marching band in college. Today I had to apologize for that criticism as the Lord used it to prepare me for today. *sigh*


The mixed part was that someone called our SGL (Staff Group Leader - a senior Chaplain and trainer here at the school and our direct officer commander in the 'official' (non-student) ranks) assigned us a 2 mile/2x a week march in our new boots. Well, as you can imagine, that didn't go so well - the picture to the left is of my left heel - hamburger. Rubbed the skin right off on that hike last night - which of course, made today a virtual nightmare to walk...I did what I needed to do, but couldn't hide the limp. Got a lot of care in it, though. The guys all rallied around me throughout the day with helpful suggestions and one did a stellar job of bandaging up the wound so I could drill today. I really don't want to miss anything and am thoroughly enjoying the training. I knew I'd have most of Saturday off (out of boots), so I thought I'd just push through today. Got through it, but was a little too short with a Colonel who adjusted me quickly - we're ok, I apologized and he forgave and kindly ordered me to have an NCO (non-commissioned officer) look at my ankle (which I did). It more just tried my patience today than anything else - I don't want to be injured this early in the training (I'm so happy my PT test is over!) Tomorrow, I will rest and get lots of air on this.

PR:
- Pray for Keith, one of my squad members - he had to quit and go home today due to a crisis in his church. It was sad for us all to see him go - we know what it took to get here. We prayed over him as a group as he left.
- Pray for quick recovery of my heal(s) (the other one's a little banged up too -yes, I know about mole-skin and inserts and wearing an extra pair of socks- am on it!)
- We are preparing to get gassed. (really) We were issued gas masks today and will receive training on how to use (deploy) them Sunday afternoon. I've heard lots of gnarly stories about this experiance, so pray I acquit myself well.
- We are also preparing to spend a week 'in the field' at something called a FOB (Forward Operating Base) - don't know what this is or where - but we've been issued everything from Kevlar helmets and flack jackets to sleeping bags - sort of sounds like an extremists' camping trip...Pray what ever comes to mind ....
- I'm having to do 20 pull ups a day (my whole platoon is thanks to SGL - just to stregnth us, not to punish) - I can't even do 1 - my platoon has to help me up over the bar - please pray I would at least get to the point where I can do a couple - I feel bad making these guys work so hard!
- Please also pray for me as squad leader - there are a lot of responsibilities (it seems like I'm learning new ones every day). Pray I do well, or step aside gracefully should the need arise.

Thanks for all you who have been pulling for me for the PT test these past 2 years! I couldn't have done it without all you ongoing encouragement and support! Thanks Nancee for sending me a terrific letter (my first mail here!)!! Thanks Lynette for calling/debriefing with me most days!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ter!
Great pics. Especially of your wound (gross!). Love to hear that your training's going well, and your squad's great! I'm praying for you! It'll be fun to see you when you get come out. And you need to see the old apartment!
-milner

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a nasty wound!