30 July 2008

Settled in...

Dear Family- Around – The – World:

Greetings from sunny, stormy, humid Ft. Jackson, SC! Well, I’ve been here nearly 2 weeks now and am happily settling into a routine of working out, Death By Power Point (this is what we call all the classroom instruction – there is no army presenter who can present without pp…). I have really been settling in this time and am much more able to look around and be genuinely present (for the most part) to get to know my classmates and instructors better. This really is a much more laid back environment this time.

Surprises:
- There are 2 instructors here from last time – wonderful, approachable, pastoral types – one is PCSing (permanent change of duty-Station) and the other is the course manager.
- There are *GASP* 4 (!!) Covenant Chaplains here!! I think this must be a Bermuda triangle of some sort – I don’t think I’ve seen this many even at our annual conferences! 2 are instructors, I am a student, though a full chaplain) and one is a North Park student who ALMOST went to Denver Seminary (turns out I met him and his wife when they did a visit…hummm…perhaps this why he didn’t come to DS…*insecure!*)
- The PT is not as stressful as last time. I feel very used to the workout schedule and it’s not such a shock to my body or mind as it was last time.
- I did officially pass my PT test! I heard they ‘jacked up’ (messed up) the taping for body fat for folks, so that score did not come through right – they told us this test would count as a diagnostic and not the ‘real’ thing. But I have decided to do Special Populations (sp. Pops) anyway as I feel that I do probably deserve to be there and it just is nicer doing afternoon workouts with others…

This week has been a lot of classroom instruction on a WIDE range of topics from the bean counters (how we get/appropriate and use money in our units) to more helpful stuff for direct ministry, like how to do an annual training cycle around a deployment and all the different area of respoinsibility we will have. There has also been some good stuff on professional ethics, morality in war and practical learning as we perform Field Services in our platoons.
We did a live fire exercise yesterday where they paired us up with AIT (Advanced Infantry Training) soldiers and had us (and them) practice how to work with/protect a chaplain in a hostile environment. I am pleased to say our soldiers were up to the task and all the chaplains lived! I did sustain an injury in the field, however – I was ruthlessly attacked by a Yellow-Jacket Bee while standing by a bush listening to instruction….needless to say, my hand is very puffy right now and I am looking forward to the swelling to go down…

Do continue to keep me in your prays and do keep up the correspondence – I have LOVED the little note (thanks Susie and Robin!) I’ve gotten here and the emails just give me such joy!

Prayer Reqs:
- Continued good weight-loss
- More speed on my run time (I’d LOVE to be able to do it in 19.30 – I’m at 20.53 right now)
- Healing for my hand from the bee sting
- The presence and peace of God as I lead a practice Field Service on Friday

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are even animated using words!! Happy to hear it is more laid back and that you passed your PT - knew you would!! Good for you for hanging in on the sp. Pops. Sounds like classroom time is interesting and beneficial. Glad you escaped the hostile environment - sorry about the sting. Accent meat tenderizer or baking soda pastes work well. Praying in your honor, Sir! Is it "Sir" or "Mam"? Hugs,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Terr, Enjoyed reading your musings from camp. Will be praying for your requests. I'm so proud of you for getting to the point you are at. Way to go!!!! Irene

Anonymous said...

Do bee a good bee, dear. :-)

All is well in the world... well, my world, anyway. Glad to hear your training is much less intense than it was last year.
Ha-lep, rite-o-lep...
Love,
Dad