26 September 2008

Transitions...Again...

I’m sitting in the Denver Airport USO lounge. It’s gorgeous. There’s a little sleeping area, nice homey chairs around round tables, big, squashy chairs, all the snacks, entertainment and internet access one could possibly wish for. I may never leave! I hear this is one of the nicest one around.

Last night I met with most of my Team; a group of incredibly gifted, talent, and fun pastors and friends who will be helping look after my life and me while I embark on this incredible journey. It was a very rich time of fellowship, community, and joy.

When I was 17 and just figuring out I really was a Christian, the Lord spoke to me in joy and said that He would make me a pastor. I was very excited (had NO idea of the women in the pastorate issue in the Church), but then he told me it wouldn’t be until my mid-30s, so chill. Today, I am 35, hold my first pastoral credentials and am embarking on my first assignment as a specifically called pastor. God is good, faithful and true.

Everyone keeps asking me how I’m feeling. In some ways, I don’t know what I’m feeling right now. I know that I’m not feeling bad, but other than that, I think there are too many things pulling in too many directions to choose any one feeling. As much as it is sad – a point of grief and grieving – that I’m leaving Denver and my friends in the US, knowing that all those relationships will be changed as I will be changed when I get back – I’m also captured by the 18 year calling and wooing of God to be out in his fields- chasing, playing, dancing, resting, working with Him in all He’s doing. And that sense of comradery with Him so fills and fulfills me.

I have worked very hard to stay here and be present to my friends and communities as I’ve waited to begin this leg of the journey; I want to be careful to honor the friends, mentors and teachers (formal and informal) who the Lord has used to bring me here, yet my heart is every looking forward to what is to be done. Thus, I have a mixed reaction to going. In many ways I’m in a great place – I love where I’m going, and I love where I’ve been. I suppose the overriding feeling is perhaps Hopeful.

I will be in SC tonight, then TX joining my unit tomorrow morning. Pray for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hoo wah!!!

You and your team and everyone else are in our thoughts and prayers!