24 March 2009

The Ides of March...


This can be a very daunting task writing the monthly updates. For me, time is a fickle thing – moving faster than can be borne some days and so slow I wonder if I’m in trouble for missing something… but none the less, I enjoy writing them as it gives me an impromptu opportunity to ‘download’ some the events of the month.

I’ve been feeling better about my schedule lately – I sort of had an emotional, internal ‘crash and burn’ last month when the pressures of going almost non-stop for 6 months caught up with me after a particular vicious string of weeks without a full day off. It was very disturbing because the last time I did this was when I was on staff with IV and I just felt that that was catastrophic – it took going away for 3 years to seminary to get repair the damage I had caused then. So when I was feeling that depleted again and so quickly – it was very depressing and I spent a few weeks feeling rather depressed.

Now, here’s where the new tools and plans I got in seminary paid off. I’ve been meeting with my Spiritual Director in the states on the phone weekly and she’s been an enormous help and encouragement. Also, when the Lord did present me with a series of days where there was not much going on, so I took advantage of the lull and crashed – just laid low for a few days. Normally I feel very guilty about not being at work when I think I should be. But I had an epiphany that week – I realized I’m working every conscious hour I’m awake – my command has mandated I’m only supposed to be working 8-10hr days (it’s been more like 12-14hr days for me) – so I realized I didn’t need to be coming in at 0830 every morning and staying until 9 or 10 at night. I could come in later on those days I know will be late and I can work out in the morning instead. This was hugely freeing for me and it’s helped me develop a better work rhythm here.

Counseling continues to be a heavy load, though I have found it’s dropped of significantly now that we’re well past the holidays. I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but I’ve been blessed to have a new Navy E6 (MA1 –for those who understand that!) join my UMT (unit ministry team – me and Sanders). It was really difficult having my assist away on block leave for most of FEB, but Chappell (yes, that really is his name) really made it not only bearable, but also doable- between him and a ‘loaner’ from the unit, we actually not only kept the boat afloat, but got some critical supply issues resolved. But I was VERY glad to have Sanders back. I am shocked to realize I can actually keep several assistant employed at any one given time; this was also an epiphany to realize I’m working to much.

The soldiers, sailors and marines here are doing basically very well. We’re all looking forward to Easter and coming home just a few months there after. I got to watch some of the Kuwaiti Air Assault teams practice doing Helicopter jumps onto a parking lot on my run this morning – I never tire of my job…

I am enormously looking forward to coming home for my block leave in June. I am in the final stages of preparing my paper for my final ordination interview. God willing, I should be ordained in Portland on my block leave. The Lord is faithful – he told me when I was 17 he would make me a pastor and that it wouldn’t be until I was in my mid thirties – I’m 35 and schedule to be ordained in June…God is good.

I’ve been thinking about time lately. We spend so much time wishing the time would pass quickly here. We’re basically locked down much of the time here on post, so there can be an oppressive feel to how time runs here. But I’ve been thinking about it – I can never get this year back. If I spend the whole time wishing I were somewhere else or that the time would just hurry up and get on with it – what will I be missing in the here and now? What work of God, beauty of nature or wonder in the growth of a human being (me or someone else) will or even am I missing out on? The need to speed things up must never subjugate the need to be as fully present to the wonder of the moment.

Another thing – I’ve struggled for years in a mild sort of way wondering if I am more of a leader or a shepherd. Well, since I’ve been here I’ve seen a number of people come and go. Recently, I’ve had occasion to see 2 sailors I became very fond of visit our camp for just a few weeks, then go – I was not sure I’d see them again and was sad at their leaving. In the last 2 weeks I’ve had occasion to have them both back for a few days each and it was a joy to see them and minister with them again. I think this settles the debate – I am a shepherd more than a leader (in the sense that a leader looks more at the big picture and is not necessarily concerned with WHO is performing what function so much as what function needs to be performed and what quality/kinds of people he or she has to do them).

Finally – we’ve begun wrapping up things here (I know, it feel early – but you try to coordinate and move several hundred people and equipment internationally and see how long it takes you!) – awards are beginning to be processed, promotions granted, projects looking to their completion. I’ve been writing Sander’s award recommendation and I’ve been asked to submit my to 5 things I’m most proud of. It was a little embarrassing once I’d written it, but fun nonetheless. So, I’ll end by sharing my list with y’all – after all, you’ve been supporting me to do it!

OER accomplishments:
- Trainings (as of 3/09): co-conducted 6 Strong Bonds classes (marriage and relational wellness classes); trained the trainers and assisted in 8 suicide prevention classes (Beyond the Front); assisted in 6 Newcomers Welcome Briefings; and attended 5 UMT trainings by ASG-KU chaplains.

- Conducted (current and projected): 32 Sunday morning worship services; 32 Bible Studies; 20 Praise and Worship Nights; 8 special Holiday services; 5 Movie and a Message events; 5 invocations; 3 hospital visitations; and 45 guitar/music lessons. Provided for the needs of Muslim, LDS and Jewish SMs throughout the deployment by driving them to events, coordinating regular access to services and providing materials (books, prayer rugs, etc.) as requested.

- Counseling (as of 3/09): 24 Red Cross messages; 23 Duty calls; 136 counseling sessions of varying types.

- Facilitated Host Nation relations within the Christian community (as of 3/09): brought 16 SMs to local protestant churches; 60 members of the Catholic community to Mass in the downtown Cathedral; and coordinated a post-wide Benefit drive, raising: non-perishable food, bedding, shoes and clothing for distribution our TCN community

- Improved Chapel supplies and equipment (current and projected): ordered: ACU Bibles; Scholars and Pastor’s electronic libraries for the Chapel (there were NO pastoral reference materials here before); crosses, medals, stars of David, Muslim Chaplain Field Kit; 2 new microphones; I personally serviced and made useable 4 guitars that were in storage; and facilitated and coordinated with the Fire Department to get the Chapel up to current fire code.

6 comments:

phyllisd.graham said...

Holy Moses ! Your accomplishment list sounds to me like you've been there 2 years already -- and I guess you have, if you're working 12-14 hour days.

Thank The Lord you've realized you need more rest.

I love, love, love your insights - especially the reminder to appreciate each day no matter where, no matter what.

We love you Terri and we're so glad you're in our lives.

Your old, new friend, Phyllis

PS So glad the jelly bellies were a hit.

Erin Marth said...

Hey Terri!

I'm so glad to hear you have figured out some sense of balancing your time and energy so you don't burn out! It sounds like you have been incredibly busy every hour, every day, possibly in your sleep too?

I'm so excited that what the Lord has promised you is coming to pass, he is faithful, and it is such a blessing to recognize and see with our own eyes how faithful he is.

Glad you'll be heading home shortly, but glad you have that perspective of valuing and honoring the time that you have wherever you are at, it's something we all need to remember!

Love you Terri! Hope to see you sometime this upcoming year!
Peace,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've really accomplished a lot in your time there! Way to go, Terri! I'm so proud of you.

Love,
irene

Anonymous said...

Wowsa Wowsa Wowsa !!! God has really used us ! You must be so proud of yourself. I am too. Love, Kathy Hsu

Kirstie said...

Hey Ter! Still out here reading your updates... even if I don't comment. I liked your thought about never getting this year back. I need to remember that with my kids especially. Hah hah, I had to laugh at the leader/shepherd thing, i coulda told you that way back when! Terri likes ministering to people more than accomplishing goals and such? Huh! Who woulda thunk it? I like that you are talking to a spiritual advisor regularly. I think we could all use that.

Paula Puckett said...

God is indeed faithful and good, Terri! Proud of you!